Sunday, July 26, 2009

Three-color Challenge

In the cardmaking group I belong to, Crazy Card Makers, we had a challenge to use just 3 colors on a card. My youngest daughter, Thea, was here when I decided to make my card so I asked her to pick out three colors for me and I'd take it from there. She looked through my cardstock and picked out an orange, a red, and a bright blue. I knew she'd pick colors I'd never think to put together. She also offered ideas on how I should make the card, so this is the result of our joint effort.

I started with an orange cardstock base, adding a layer of a striped print scrapbooking paper that used all 3 of our colors. I cut a square from the red cardstock, mounted a square of the blue cardstock on top of it, then Thea punched the flower shapes in the reddish-orange print paper so that when I put it on top of the blue, we'd have blue flowers surrounding the little kitty in his flowerpot which is a stamped image I punched out with a 2" scallop punch and mounted on a red circle of cardstock in the center. Thea wanted orange brads in the corners of the square. I stamped the sentiment with blue pigment ink, sprinkled on holographic clear glitter and heat-embossed it. The stamped image was colored with markers, BIC Mark-It and Crayola (the flowerpot).



This black, white, and red card was my original idea for this challenge and I couldn't resist making it even though I really liked the card I made with my daughter's input. To make this, I started with a square of white cardstock, a size I don't often make, but I wanted to do something a little different. Then I covered the front with the patterned black & white print. From a coordinating print paper, I cut out the stripe with the medallions on it that I adhered across the card. From yet another coordinating print, I cut out the large flower and two smaller flowers, adhering them on top of the horizontal strip. The large flower is mounted with foam tape to make it pop out more. And there you have it...

No comments:

Post a Comment