Friday, May 15, 2009

Today's Frugal Finds

This morning my sweetheart and I had to run into town (25 miles away) to pick up milk for next week. We like to buy our milk in 1/2 gallon plastic bags at the Kwik Trip store and that's the closest one. I used to work in that town so would pick it up after my workday ended, but my job bit the dust in mid-February (one of the economy's casualties) so now we have to make a special trip into town to buy milk or gas or anything else. That's just one of the down-sides to living out in the country--but I wouldn't change where I live for anything, so we live with the few inconveniences.

Anyway, when we got to town, hubby said he wanted to stop at K-Mart to check on slippers. He didn't find what he was looking for so said we should also stop at WalMart. He did find an acceptable pair of slippers there (he has big feet, which go with his 6 ft 1 in frame). I found a few things, too! WalMart has a section of summer party stuff, with a Hawaiian theme, and these pretty silk flower leis were there for $1 each. I don't know about you, but I like using silk flowers on my cards. The ones that are sold specifically for papercrafting are just a bit pricey most of the time, so when I find a deal like this I grab it. As you can see in the photo, I picked up pink, blue, and yellow leis. I'll take them apart and have lots of silk flowers to use on cards. The flowers are put together in two layers, a bigger one and a smaller one, so when I use them on cards, I'll use the two layers, too. I also like to buy silk flower spikes with small flowers that I can cut off and put on cards.

My other purchase this morning was a 12 ct pack of gold foil 4" doilies by Wilton, the cake decorating people. These packs were on clearance for $2. I love those clearance items! These doilies should be just the thing on wedding cards or anniversary cards--especially 50 wedding anniversaries; I'm thinking ahead here, folks!

And now to get back to work...I'm supposed to be cleaning and getting ready for the Sabbath. We are hosting our Sabbath fellowship here tomorrow and will be babysitting two of our grandchildren, Samuel (5) and Rose (2), so it's going to be an interesting day. Til later...

No comments:

Post a Comment