Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Wedding Congratulations Card for Nephew


My nephew Everett, my brother's youngest, is getting married to Tasha on Saturday. Their wedding colors are black & white, so I challenged myself to make a black & white card for them. I'd found the silvery striped paper at Amy's Cheese Emporium in Stanley, WI and thought it would be perfect so picked that up awhile ago. Then it was a matter of pulling together all the other bits and pieces.

To make their card, I started with a 12" x 12" sheet of textured cardstock from a Colorbok pack I picked up at WalMart. I cut the cardstock 12" x 6 5/8", then made three folds in it, so that I had a card 5" x 6 5/8", with a 2" flap on the inside in which to tuck the money gift we are giving them. To complete the inside of the card, I used Microsoft Word to type up my sentiment and then printed it out on a mottled black/white sheet of paper, which I hand-tore to size and adhered to the inside. I then used a sparkly silver gel pen to sign the card.

On the front of the card, I added a layer of gray cardstock which I corner-punched with my Fiskars Heritage corner punch. The next layer is a lovely white vinyl wallpaper sample with the corners rounded off. The "ribbon" strip is cut from a piece of wallpaper border and threaded through a sentiment tag which I picked up in an embellishment pack at Dollar Tree. On the left side of the card, the black triangular piece is cut from a divider page from one of my wallpaper sample books. It was just too elegant to resist! To that, I added a piece of that silvery striped paper I'd picked up some time ago, Wedding Stripes by www.pebblesinc.com. Along the top edge of the silvery paper, I attached white silk flowers (cut off a flower pik I found somewhere) and attached with silver mini-brads. To complete the card, I stuck two "diamond" gems on the right-side corners.

I'm quite pleased with this card. I like the elegant look of it. I did have to use a little Gorilla Glue to make sure the black triangular piece stayed stuck down to the white vinyl wallpaper, though. That black piece is glossy cardstock on both sides and the double-sided carpet tape just wasn't holding like I wanted it to. It's stuck tight now, though. And there you have it....

No comments:

Post a Comment